Streets Of Rage (1991 Video Game)
Just the other day, I had written a blog post about Street Fighter 2 which celebrated 35 years since it was released. While I was working on it, I quickly realized that another incredible game came out 35 years ago too. And it was called Streets of Rage.
As kid growing up in the 1990s, I was major fan of Sega and this game was one of my go-to games to play for the Sega Genesis. I just took the cartridge, put it in and along with my brothers, had ourselves a good time deliver justice in an unjust world.
Which makes sense especially since the story follows three ex-cops who turned vigilantes in order to battle a local crime syndicate which is led by the evil Mr. X who have corrupted the local government.
You and/or fellow gamer get to choose between three different characters. Whether it be Adam Hunter, Axel Stone (My personal favorite character) and Blaze Fielding.
This cool side-scrolling beat em' up fighting game allows you to use up to 40 different moves, like headbutts, backslams and reverse kicks. You can even use the surrounding environment to find weapons like a baseball bat, lead pipes, knives, glass bottles. Plus there are some food items that can be used to help replenish your health such as apples and chicken.
I personally love the power up moves you can use the game. Like my personal favorite was when you summon a police car and the cop fires off a rocket and the explosives just cause massive damage to your targets.
Again, I just loved the concept behind the game where former cops who just got fed up with what was happening to the local government and the only way to stop the evil was to go outside "The Law". The characters were fun to play as and each one was unique in their own special way.
This game was one of the best selling Sega games on the Genesis/Mega Drive during its original run. To be honest, the graphics itself still look pretty cool to me in 2026 as they did back in my youth during the nineties.
The music was incredible! I loved the whole theme of techno to go along with the R&B, hip-hop, club music if you will. The soundtrack itself was critically acclaimed and again, much like the graphics, it still holds up in my humble opinion. Congrats to you Yuzo Koshiro!
This was another fun trip down memory lane, I am forever grateful for these special moments of my life.
Happy 35th!
Until Next Time!
God Bless and Be Safe Everybody! 🙏🙏🙏
Comments
Post a Comment