Blood Sugar Sex Magik (Red Hot Chili Peppers Album) 35 Years Old
The older I get, the more I want to look back at some of my favorite things from my youth. As I have researching, I discover that one of my favorite bands how an album which is now 35 years old this year. It is called Blood Suger Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Originally, this album came out in 1991 and many people to this very day, consider it one of their best if not their very best album ever made. In fact, it was named one of the best soundtrack of the 1990s and honestly, I can see why it was.
Now I must admit, being born in 1990, I didn't get to hear the album as it happened. I wish I did, but thankfully, I grew up around an older crowd and it was there when I first got to listen to them. And it was AWESOME!
In fact, the only other RHCP album that sold more than this one did was Californication which also came in the 90s, 1999 to be exact.
Blood Sugar Sex Magik peaked at number three on the Billboard 200 and led to what many consider to be the reason for the alternative rock/rap rock explosion throughout the 90s to the early 2000s.
I mean when you look and listen to the track list of the album, it is easy to see why. With such great songs like Suck my Kiss, Give it Away, Breaking the Girl, If You Have to Ask, Naked in The Rain, among others.
Personally though, my favorite song from this album as well as one my favorite RHCP songs ever, was Under The Bridge. Although, the song itself was about Kiedis' struggles with addiction, it meant something totally different to me.
You see, this song was a comfort song to me as I was struggling with self-harming and self-hatred. Because of my Scoliosis and Cerebral Palsy as well as losing friends left and right for a number of different reasons. I hated myself, I kept thinking to myself. What good am I? In fact, Who was I even anyway? I was so lonely, but when I hear this song it carried me through some very dark times.
Honestly, you can make the case that RHCP were a very big reason as to why I love to write poetry and express myself and so many ways. Thank you so much for that!
As I have mentioned before about them, these guys represented the California sound. Listening to them made me feel like I was living in California. Sadly, I live in Pennsylvania lol. It can be cold at times lol.
It was really fun looking back on such an incredible album. Especially now more than ever because albums are slowly becoming a thing of the past with everything being more digital based now. But nonetheless, it was such a beautiful journey and I appreciate everything RHCP has done in their music career and how they have inspired me.
Until Next Time!
God Bless and Be Safe Everybody! 🙏🙏🙏
Comments
Post a Comment