Awesome Bill From Dawsonville!

  One of the greatest drivers in the history of Nascar in my humble opinion is the one and only Bill Elliott. Elliott was one of the reason I began watching auto racing in general.

Awesome Bill got his first start in Nascar back in 1976. Heck my parents never even met at that point to even start a family 😅. However it wasn't until 1983 when Elliott managed to get his first win of his career winning Winston Western 500 at Riverside.

His final race in Nascar came in 2012 when he raced in the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona. Elliott compiled a grand total 44 victories, 320 top tens and 55 poles. His only championship came in 1988.

 Elliott also has the record for the fastest average speed at Daytona in 1987 going 210.364 mph. But then later in the same season, Bill would break has own record at Talladega going 212.809 mph. With all of that accomplishments, it was no surprise that Bill Elliott was named to the 2015 Nascar Hall of Fame.

One of the reasons why I really enjoyed watching Bill Elliott was because he like myself had come from a smalltown in the state of Georgia called Dawsonville. Me and my family got to go to Dawsonville one summer and I can honestly say that it was one of my favorite times in my life. My personal favorite was going to see the Dawsonville Pool Room where we got to see a lot of old Bill Elliott racing stuff.

I also love the fact that he help build a race team with his family with his one brother Ernie was a major factor in terms to building racing engines and it was cool to see them win the championship with his family. Speaking of which, Bill also has a son who currently races himself in Nascar in Chase Elliott. Back in 2020 when Chase won the championship, which made Bill and Chase the third father-son duo to each winning a championship. The other two being Lee and Richard Petty as well as Ned and Dale Jarrett.

But I'd have to say my favorite thing about Bill Elliot was just how he seem like such a simple guy. He never seem to care about being famous, just a humble guy getting to do what he loves best.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lewistown Area High School Class of 2009

What's going on? Being honest with ourselves!

Is It Worth It To Keep Fighting?