Rollerjam

  Back in the late 90s, my childhood was all about professional wrestling. WWF (Now WWE) was going head to head with WCW in the Monday Night Wars. But then me and my brothers discovered a raising third challenger in the form of ECW on a channel called TNN. We were excited to see even more pro wrestling on tv.

Thanks to ECW, we also got to witness another kind of show on TNN and it was called Rollerjam.

Rollerjam was a roller derby show that lasted for four seasons before shutting down in 2001. The show was based off of another roller derby league from the 60s and early 70s led by Leo Seltzer and then later son Jerry Seltzer who was the on-screen commissioner of the WSL (World Skating League).

The show featured several teams throughout its run with such teams like the California Quakes, New York Enforcers, Florida Sundogs, Nevada Hot Dices, Texas Rustlers and the Illinois Riot.

It also had some amazing skaters on the show as well that I really enjoyed like Sean Atkinson (RIP), Mark D'Amato (RIP), Heather Gunnin and Stacy Blitsch just to name a few were very enjoyable to watch.

The action was awesome and I really enjoyed the sport of roller derby and as someone who loved to roller blade back in the day, I would have loved to give roller derby a try myself.

However, there was one issue I had with Rollerjam, and that was the fact that it was storyline driven show a lot like pro wrestling. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching the show, but I truly believe that roller derby can be a legit sporting competition. It was the main reason that Jerry Seltzer left the show after one season because it was more storyline than actual competition.

Heck some of the competitors still compete in roller derby to this very day. I think it be pretty cool to bring the sport of roller derby back to the mainstream but again, this is just my humble opinion. I really people would enjoy seeing.

But with all said and done, I really loved watching Rollerjam and along with ECW, it made Friday nights with my brothers such a blast! Episodes can be seen on youtube.

God Bless and Be Safe!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lewistown Area High School Class of 2009

What's going on? Being honest with ourselves!

Is It Worth It To Keep Fighting?