The Crow!

This one is extremely important to me because as I continue this journey of self reflection, I've been noticing a lot of things about me that I didn't realize before. One of these has been a major influence in not just my writing, but in my life as well. It is the story called The Crow.

The Crow was created by James O'Barr and made its first comic book debut in February of 89 and has become such a classic among many comic book readers.

One of the things I love about this story was the simple fact that O'Barr used this story to help him deal with the loss of his fiancee to a drunk driver.

Reading these books, I can honestly feel the pain that O'Barr was going through during that time. I even remember watching an interview with him when he talked about her and I really thought I was going to cry throughout the interview because I felt so sorry for him. I can not even imagine going through something like that.

The story revolves around Eric who along with his fiancee Shelly were brutally murdered by a group of thugs after their car breaks down.

After death, the Crow brings Eric back to life to avenge their murders one year later. 

The success of the comics led to a movie opportunity for O'Barr as movie came out in 1994. This movie was my introduction to the Crow which starred the late Brandon Lee (RIP).

Looking back on it, I felt a couple of things. One, I was way too young to watch this kind of movie 😁, but at the same time I felt like I could relate to it for some reason. This story basically made me into gothic story telling.

What I always found unique about the story was how dark and depressing it was, yet there was always a sign of hope that there is always something there watching over us. I know that may sound weird to some of you reading this. But this story really helped me in so many ways. My favorite part of the movie was at the end where Eric was crawling to the graves and Shelly appears in an angelic form to comfort him.

I love that part of the movie so much that I wish I could have something like that in my life when it comes to finding a woman. It was so beautiful to see love in the world despite the ever growing darkness around us.

Thinking about it now kind of makes me want to cry right now lol.

I remember in high school when I started writing things down and expressing my feelings about everything really. I wish I had realized it sooner how much of the pain I was getting out and I thank James O'Barr so much for that.

That story also has helped me in life because it made me feel like there is always hope and that there is always something beautiful even when none of us can see it.

I really love this story and I would love to be able to make an impact like The Crow did for me for other people.

I highly recommend everyone to read this story and or watch the movie. Maybe it could give people a better understanding of how I feel on a daily basis or maybe not. Either way it is a beautiful story and it leaves us with a very important question.

What would you do after being brought back to life a year after something tragic happened to you?

God Bless you James O'Barr!

Comments

  1. My favorite scene is when he saves sarah and tells her it can't rain all the time

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lewistown Area High School Class of 2009

What's going on? Being honest with ourselves!

Is It Worth It To Keep Fighting?